Monday, August 17, 2009

Wheat/Egg/Cow's Dairy Free Chocolate Cookies


www.RickNakama.com sorghum chocolate cookies wheat freeI've been craving chocolate and cookies since being on this restricted diet for almost 2 months. I finally decided to try to bake some wheat, egg and cow's dairy free cookies. I've been looking forward to trying some baking since I found the goat milk butter at Whole Foods the other week.

I searched the web for some sorghum cookie recipes, but they weren't adequate for me because they seemed to include things like Crisco, eggs or rice flours in addition to the sorghum flour. I decided to just wing it. I used to bake butter cookies years ago so I kind of just went with that feel...

I used the force and just threw in a block of goat milk butter (approximately the size of a normal "stick"... I'll refer to it as "1 part"). About the same amout of sorghum flour, 1 part. Then about 3/4 part potato flour, a 1/4 part corn meal, a 1/4 part unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 part white sugar, 1/4 part brown sugar, couple pinches cream of tartar, couple pinches of baking powder, couple dashes of salt, a few drops of vanilla extract and 1 shot of fresh pulled espresso (ok it wasn't really "pulled" since my machine is a full auto...).
www.RickNakama.com sorghum chocolate cookies wheat freeI mixed these all together with a wooden spoon while preheating the oven to 350F. After the ingredients were all combined, the consistency looked and felt perfect (like past cookie doughs). I spooned small amounts onto a thick baking tray because I prefer firm & small cookies. I popped it in the oven on the bottom rack for 9 minutes then checked it. It wasn't quite done yet unless you like soft cookies. I left it in for about another 5 minutes, but I did open the door a couple more times during that to check on them. If they were left in continously without opening, I estimate cooking time to be adequate at about 12-13 minutes in my oven with this pan.

I immediately placed them on the cooling rack to get them crisp. They taste nice and cocoaey (is that a word?). I've already eaten a few of them. I want to keep them as a snack when I have cravings, but I don't know how long they will last. They don't taste like "normal" cookies, but they do fill that void in the snack category. I like them enough to continue making them this way.

Bookmark and Share


2 comments:

  1. WOW RM! Nice looking cookies you got there! They look delicious! I'm glad you were able to get back to baking!!! Next time, you can make it for us!!!

    P.S. Everytime I try to post a comment it says my request could not be processed! GRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara- Really? Is it because of the comment approval feature? Hmmm... Thanks for posting.

    I like the cookies, Kelli thinks they taste burnt. It's probably the cocoa powder and espresso she's tasting. Maybe I should cut a little of the cocoa powder next time.

    ReplyDelete

www.RickNakama.com
Thanks for your comments. I'll need to screen them first to make sure it's a family friendly comment.

日本語by Google Translate.
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
© 2007 RickNakama.com
Use of this site indicates your agreement to our Terms of Service.