Saturday, October 27, 2007

Genko-ya or Kenko-ya Restaurant??


www.RickNakama.com kenko-ya genko-yaThis was interesting. On Wednesdays, Kelli has dinner with her grandma in Kaneohe. I went with her last Wednesday. We were eating at a new Japanese style restaurant across Windward Mall. The sign says, "Kenko-ya" as you can see in this picture. Now when we get seated and they bring the menu, it reads, "Genko-ya" in English or romaji and "けんこう屋" (kenko-ya in Japanese writing). This is common in the Japanese Language where they will pronounce the "k" sound as a "g", but I don't know how well their name recognition will be amongst English consumers. I searched YellowPages.com for both names and it's not found. When I Googled them, I found a Midweek story<-click. Interesting that when I read this article, the writer also didn't make a decision on what to call the restaurant. It's called Genko-ya in the write-up, but on the photo it's called Kenko-ya. Oh well, enough of that... oh no, we also asked the waitress what the restaurant should be called and she replied, "I don't know, I don't want to ask (the owner?)". Hahaha. She must get asked a lot. Anyway, I think it would really help their customers find their phone number if they quickly make a decision.
www.RickNakama.com kenko-ya genko-yaI chose the 2 choice teishoku meal. I had tonkatsu (breaded pork cutlet) and chicken teriyaki (soy sauce marinade). It was above average quality for a fast food type of Japanese restaurant. The chicken teriyaki and the tonkatsu tasted good. The cost was about $13. As always, I forgot to take the picture before I started to eat! The tsukemono (pickled vegetables) and the miso soup were not very good. It was ok, but the miso soup was a little too salty.
www.RickNakama.com kenko-ya genko-yaThe restaurant seemed very popular as lines of people were coming in to order take-out. The tables were also filled. Genko-ya or Kenko-ya is located at the Kaneohe Bay Shopping Center. There are lots of parking spaces and some other stores and restaurants next door.

Genko-Ya a.k.a. Kenko-Ya
46-047 Kamehameha Highway
Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744
(808)236-2030

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.RickNakama.com
Thanks for your comments. I'll need to screen them first to make sure it's a family friendly comment.

日本語by Google Translate.
Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
© 2007 RickNakama.com
Use of this site indicates your agreement to our Terms of Service.